Saturday, September 18, 2010

Would you like a room with a view of the end of the world?

I was browsing about the web, looking for inane little tidbits as a random blogger is likely to do, when I stumbled onto on of those, "Did you know..." sites. This particular nugget of random info told me that that on this day in history, in 1957 to be precise, the United States conducted it first underground nuclear test in Nevada. Now, admittedly, I am not sure if this was the first test or merely the first time Nevada was used as ground zero. More to the point, the truth of this specific occurrence matters very little, as it is not the point I wish to commiserate on.

What this little notion reminded me of was a documentary on Vegas that I watched a few weeks ago, which explained that these atomic experiments were a form of entertainment for the tourists of the strip. Hotels would obtain testing schedules, and set up a place with a view. I suppose it must have seemed quite novel at the time, but can you imagine it now?

"Ma'am, we have a lovely selection of martinis that would go very nicely with this afternoons mushroom cloud of death. And may I offer you some complimentary sunscreen to avoid any mutations while on your vacation?"

They were even videos of this. It blows my mind. It also had me thinking that Vegas is so successful not only from the repeated sounds of the C-chord and a lack of windows, but also from the radiation leaching in from the bedrock! Oh well.... poker, anyone?

1 comments:

Crystal said...

Unreal!! And as always, you crack me up!